Thursday, May 17, 2012

Jumping on the Chive Blossom Vinegar Train

I went to my mom's house to celebrate Mother's Day last Sunday and I left with her flowers...her chive flowers!


She wasn't planning on doing anything with them and I knew of an easy way to use them: Chive Blossom Vinegar.  It is as simple as rinsing these babies off, throwing them in some vinegar (I used distilled white vinegar) and capping it off.  After 2 weeks it is supposedly ready to use in whatever way you see fit.


I tried to make this last year when I saw the idea come up on Marisa's blog, Food in Jars.  My dad kindly picked his blossoms for me last year, but by the time they were transported from Wisconsin to Minnesota, the rain soaked chives were looking pretty mushy and unappealing.  Since chive blossoms come but once a year, I had to wait a whole year to give it another go.  Here's hoping the results are worth the wait!

A few extra tidbits: I was tickled to find that my mom had the exact amount of blossoms needed to yield a half gallon jar and I had the exact amount of distilled vinegar on hand to top the jar off.  Also, after a day of celebrating the moms (mine and my mother in law), I had just the right amount of time and energy left over to tackle this simple task.  It was meant to be!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...